The Microsoft’s newest Surface tablet is set to rival against Apple’s flagship iPad and other similar gadgets such as Samsung Tab 3 and Amazon Fire HD 10. But is it up for the challenge?
Microsoft has recently announced that it will come up with a newer and cheaper Surface Go tablet, which surprisingly comes with a much more competitive price of $399 or about $100 cheaper. However, the 10-inch smaller tablet is a less powerful version of Surface Pro, according to The Verge.
Here are the rest of its specs:
- Display: 10in (1200×1800) IPS, 10-point touch
- Processor: Intel 1.6GHz Pentium 4415Y (7th-gen Kaby Lake)
- Graphics: Intel HD 615 (integrated)
- Memory: 4GB/8GB
- Storage: 64GB eMMC/128GB SSD (256GB SSD in the commercial model)
- Ports: 1 USB 3.0 Type C, 1 Surface Connector, microSD, headphone jack
- Wireless: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, LTE later in 2018
- Cameras: 5Mp front (Windows Hello-capable), 8Mp rear (with autofocus)
- Battery: 27Wh, 9 hours (estimated) of battery life
- Operating system: Windows 10 Home in S Mode (Windows 10 Pro for commercial model)
- Dimensions and weight: 245 x 175 x 8.3mm, 522g
An intial review of the Surface Go’s specs revealed that it is “not an iPad killer,” adding that “Surface Go appears to be targeted far more broadly across education, regular consumers, and even commercial usage. It’s clearly designed to be a cheaper and more portable Surface that lowers the barrier of entry for those put off by the price of a Surface Pro and its more capable specifications.”
Similar to Surface Pro, the Surface Go also comes with a Type Cover, which may be purchased separately at $99.
“These keyboards turn the Surface Go into more of a laptop, in the same vein the Surface line has always tried to capitalize on. It’s the unique selling point of Surface tablets, and it leverages Microsoft’s strength in PCs,” the Verge said, adding that it is a feature that Apple does not offer.
Surface Go’s WiFi only version is expected to be out in the US and UK on August 2 and August 22, respectively. Microsoft has already began its pre-orders last July 10. An LTE version is expected to be out in the market sometime later this year.